The Records Section is charged with the responsibility of:
The Records Section enters the data from the incident reports and traffic citations into the in-house computer system. This is a crosscheck to be certain that we will have any offense report generated in either paper or computer format. Once the data is electronically entered, the paper reports are numerically filed for retrieval at a later date if needed. All original traffic crash reports are mailed to the Ohio Department of Pubic Safety for archiving and are not entered into our computer system. The incident reports, citations and traffic crash reports are held for a specified period according to the record retention schedule before they are destroyed.
Incident and Traffic Crash Report Requests
To obtain copies of traffic crash reports, and criminal incident reports, please be ready to provide the Records Section staff with the date and time the incident or crash occurred, the location, and, if available, the report number. The Records Section is open Monday-Friday from 8:00am to 4:00pm.
Requests can be e-mailed to email@example.com. The records clerk will need as much information as possible to process your request. Once the request is made, a records clerk will locate the requested record, then e-mail the report to you at no cost. Reports and records can be picked up in person from the Allen County Sheriff’s Office Records Bureau anytime between 8:00am – 4:00pm any business day, Monday through Friday. The fee for hard copy reports is listed below.
When requesting a complaint report or traffic crash report the following information is requested:
- Date of occurrence
- Name of person(s) involved
- Location of occurrence
- Report number if available
Fees for Report Requests
- For a complaint report or traffic crash report picked up in person from the records Bureau, the cost is ten cents ($0.10) per page after the first ten pages.
- If the report is mailed or faxed, the cost is $1.00 per page and must be pre-paid.
- Photographs that may accompany the report will not be processed until a request is made in writing and the payment is received. Cost of photos is:
- Color (3×5) snapshot – forty five cents ($0.45) each
Background Record Checks
The Records Section conducts background record checks for civilians, employers, government and military. This record will list the number of times that an individual has been arrested and booked into the Allen County Jail. It will NOT give the final disposition of the charge. That information must be obtained from the appropriate court that heard or dismissed the case with no charges.
When requesting a criminal arrest record check, the following information must be provided:
- A signed waiver from the subject of the search (pre-employment screening)
- Full name (last name, first name middle initial)
- Date of birth
- Social security number
- Five dollars each ($5.00)
- No charge for government of non-profit agency use
Only computerized arrest records from 1986 are available. The disposition of any arrest must be found from the court that heard the case if charges were filed.
Electronic Fingerprint Checks (WEBCHECK)
The Allen County Sheriff’s Office conducts civilian electronic fingerprint background checks (WebCheck) for employment and licensing. All WebChecks will be done through the Concealed Carry Section (419) 227-3535 Ext. 284 on Monday thru Friday 8:00a.m. – 4:00p.m. Inked and rolled fingerprint card background checks can only be done if an electronic impression cannot be made and will require an additional scheduling and waiver form with the Identification Bureau. The fee schedule for the costs of this service is:
- BCI Ohio check only – thirty seven dollars ($37.00)
- FBI national check only – thirty dollars ($30.00)
- BCI and FBI national check – sixty seven dollars ($67.00)
House Check Request
Many times, people need to be away from their houses for an extended period of time, such as hospitalization and vacations. In addition to family and friends checking the interior of the house, the Allen County Sheriff’s Office can make an extra security patrol around the house. Contact the Records Section (419) 993-1411, Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:00pm, or the Communications Center (419) 227-3535 after hours, to request this service. Please have the location, description of the house, contact information and dates of request available when calling. Additional information will be requested from you when you call. There is no charge for this community service, but is subject to discontinuance if abused.
- All payments for reports, photos and criminal arrest record checks will be by cash, check or money order.
- Neither credit nor debit cards will be accepted for any of these services.
- Writ of Possession
- This writ is a court order to the Sheriff to remove the occupants of property and give possession to the rightful owner of record after a property is purchased at a Sheriff Sale.
- Writ of Execution
- This writ orders the Sheriff to seize, appraise, advertise and sell personal and/or real property of an individual or business to satisfy a debt owed to another.
- Writ of Replevin (Order of Possession)
- This writ orders the Sheriff to seize property of an individual and return it to the rightful owner as determined by the court. It also causes the removal of any inhabitants in the case of the property being a dwelling.
- Notice to Commence Suit
- This serves notice to a lienholder that requires them to pursue their lien on a property. Failure to do so within the allotted time will cause the lien to be lifted from the property.